Effective May 21, 2019.
Please do not provide us anything that could damage your person or company.
What We Collect
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide to us directly when you use the Services. This includes:
Account information. To create an account, you must provide a name and a password. Your name is only public when you are a host. Your name is not used when you participate in a discussion. We provide a fake username for each discussion or topic you participate in. You also provide an email address. We also store your user account preferences and settings.
Content you submit. We collect the content you submit to the Services. This includes your posts and comments, and your reports and other communications with hosts and with us. Your content may include text, links, files, and images.
Actions you take. We collect information about the actions you take when using the Services. This includes your interactions with content, like clicking links and viewing discussions. We collect your interactions with hosts and other participants, including your replies.
Other information. You may choose to provide other information directly to us. For example, we may collect information when you fill out a form, participate in ACS-sponsored activities or promotions, apply for a job, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use our Services, we may also automatically collect information about you. This includes:
Log and usage data. We may log information when you access and use the Services. This may include your IP address, user-agent string, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information (e.g., device IDs), pages visited, links clicked, the requested URL, hardware settings, and search terms.
Information collected from cookies and similar technologies. We may receive information from cookies, which are pieces of data your browser stores and sends back to us when making requests, and similar technologies. We use this information to improve your experience, understand user activity, personalize content and advertisements, and improve the quality of our Services.
Location information. We may receive location information from you when you choose to share such information on our Services, including by associating your content with a location, or we may derive your approximate location from other information about you, including your IP address.
How We Use Information About You
We use information about you to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- Research and develop new services;
- Help protect the safety of ACS and our users, which includes blocking suspected spammers, addressing abuse, and enforcing the ACS user agreement and our other policies;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, invoices and other support and administrative messages;
- Provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, and events, and provide other news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services; and
- Personalize the Services and provide advertisements, content and features that match user profiles or interests.
How Information About You Is Shared
When you use the Services, certain information may be shared with other users and the public. For example:
- When you submit content (such as a post or comment) to the Services, any visitors to and users of our Services will be able to see that content, the fake username associated with the content (unless you are a host), and the date and time you originally submitted the content. Although some parts of the Services may be private or quarantined, they may become public (e.g., at the moderator's option in the case of private communities and groups) and you should take that into consideration before posting to the Services.
Please note that, even when you delete your account, the posts, comments and messages you submit through the Services may still be viewable or available on our servers.
Otherwise, we do not share, sell, or give away your personal information to third parties unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- To comply with the law. We may share information in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including, but not limited to, meeting national security or law enforcement requirements. To the extent the law allows it, we will attempt to provide you with prior notice before disclosing your information in response to such a request.
- In an emergency. We may share information if we believe it's necessary to prevent imminent and serious bodily harm to a person.
- To enforce our policies and rights. We may share information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements, or other ACS policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others.
- With your consent. We may share information about you with your consent or at your direction.
- Aggregated or de-identified information. We may share information about you that has been aggregated or anonymized such that it cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Audience and Analytics Partners
We may partner with third-party audience networks and analytics providers to deliver content targeted to your interests and to better understand your use of the Services. These third parties may collect information sent by your computer, browser, or mobile device in response to a request for content, such as unique identifiers, your IP address, or other information about your computer or device. For example:
We partner with companies and organizations who may identify you as a likely participant for a discussion. We may share the content of the discussions with these partners.
As a ACS user, you have choices about how to protect and limit the collection, use, and disclosure of information about you.
Deleting Your Account
You may delete your account information at any time by contacting ACS. When you delete your account, your profile is no longer visible to other users and disassociated from content you posted under that account. Please note, however, that the posts, comments, and messages you submitted prior to deleting your account will still be visible to others. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes after you delete your account.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject first- and third-party cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Do Not Track
Most modern web browsers give you the option to send a Do Not Track signal to the websites you visit, indicating that you do not wish to be tracked. However, there is no accepted standard for how a website should respond to this signal, and we do not take any action in response to this signal. Instead, in addition to publicly available third-party tools, we offer you the choices described in this policy to manage the collection and use of information about you.
Controlling Promotional Communications
You may opt out of receiving some or all categories of communications from us by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out of communications, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as information about your account or your use of the Services.
We take measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. For example, we use HTTPS while information is being transmitted.
We store the information we collect for as long as it is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
International Data Transfers
We are based in the United States and we process and store information on servers located in the United States. We may store information on servers and equipment in other countries depending on a variety of factors, including the locations of our users and service providers. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, where you may not have the same rights as you do under local law.
This service is not yet intended to receive personal data from the European Union and Switzerland. Please do not use this service if you are from there.
Children under the age of 13 are not allowed to create an account or otherwise use the Services. Additionally, if you are in the EEA, you are not allowed to use the Services.
Changes to This Policy